Healthy & Hearty Tomato Soup!
Updated: Mar 25, 2022
With only a few more weeks of what we call "cold" in Houston, this delicious and hearty, warm tomato soup really hit the spot! It's lightened up with light coconut milk to make this soup creamy and to give it a gentle sweet flavor. I always remember loving soups so much growing up that I would have them everyday straight from the can after school! Campbell's tomato, potato, and chicken noodle soup for the win! Although canned soup is great, there's nothing better than homemade made from scratch soup!
I also used Kettle & Fire bone broth to not only enhance the flavor but also to boost the protein & collagen in this recipe! Top with toasted gluten free croutons, a dash of coconut milk, basil and also more parmesan to make it extra cheesy! I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as we did!
-3 lbs. tomatoes, fresh, cut into halves
-6 ounces of light coconut milk
-½ onion diced (1 cup)
-5 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
-2 Tbsp olive oil
-½ tsp sea salt
-¼ freshly ground pepper
-¼ cup fresh basil
-2 Tbsp salted butter
-2 Tbsp all purpose flour
-1 Tbsp granulated sugar
-1/2 quart vegetable broth
-1/2 quart chicken bone broth (Kettle & Fire brand)
-1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
Optional: Toasted gluten free bread, cut into croutons
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly grease a large baking sheet, set aside.
2. Combine tomatoes, onion, and garlic in a large bowl. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and stir until evenly distributed.
3. Spread tomato mixture onto prepared baking sheet in a single layer and roast for 15 minutes.
4. Remove from oven, stir, and roast for an additional 15 minutes, broiling during the last 3 minutes so that some of the tomatoes get lightly charred.
5. Add roasted tomato mixture to the container of a high-powered blender, making sure to scrape all the contents of the baking sheet into the blender.
6. Add fresh basil and blend mixture on high speed until smooth (unless you like a chunkier soup)
7. In a large pot, melt butter over medium-high heat.
8. Add flour to melted butter and whisk to combine. Cook until butter and flour mixture is golden brown (30-60 seconds).
9. Add broths, coconut milk and sugar and whisk to combine.
10. Add blended mixture to the pot and whisk to combine. Cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, taste and adjust salt and pepper as desired.
11. Serve warm with gluten free croutons, chopped fresh basil, and more parmesan!