Turn Heads Turkey Zucchini Lasagna
This turkey lasagna is so damn delicious, it's bound to turn heads and fill your soul with joy! I've been making this for years now and it still hits the spot every time. This lasagna takes some time to make but it's completely worth it! The process is soothing as it is made with love. The layers of meat, ricotta cheese, basil, mozzarella, and zucchini are perfectly aligned with each and every bite. This would be wonderful for a family, date night, meal prep or simply just YOU! :)
1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
1 lb 94% lean ground beef
1 teaspoon salt
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp red chili flakes
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup of bone broth
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
black pepper, to taste
3 medium, 8 ounces each zucchini, sliced 1/8" thick
1 1/2 cups part-skim ricotta
1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano
1 large egg
16 oz, 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1. In a large deep dutch oven, brown meat and season with salt, Italian seasoning, pepper and red pepper flakes.
2. Add olive oil to the pan with the meat and saute garlic and onions about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, 1/4 cup bone broth, basil, salt and pepper. Simmer on low for at least 30-40minutes, covered. Do not add extra water, the sauce should be thick.
3. Meanwhile, slice zucchini into 1/8" thick slices, lightly salt and set in a precooked oven at 400 degrees for 10 min. Zucchini has a lot of water when cooked, salting it takes out a lot of moisture. After 10 minutes, take out & blot excess moisture with a paper towel.
4. Reduce heat to oven to 375F.
5. In a medium bowl mix ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and egg. Add in any extra basil if desired. Stir well.
6. In a 9x12 casserole spread 1/2 cup of sauce on the bottom and layer the zucchini to cover. Spread 1/2 cup of the ricotta cheese mixture, then top with 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese and repeat the process until all your ingredients are used up. The last layer top with remaining zucchini and sauce, cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Uncover the foil and bake 20 minutes (to dry up the sauce) then place the remaining 1 cup mozzarella and bake until melted, 10 minutes.
7. Let the final lasagna stand about 5 - 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!